Saturday, October 24, 2015

Half Spelt Drop Biscuits

Calling these biscuits half spelt is a misnomer....but I didn't want to do the math! You naturally use a little less liquid when working with spelt, so for ease, I just added an extra quarter cup of all purpose flour until the dough felt right, to keep everything else the same.

This recipe will make 12 drop biscuits, or 10 if you are me. :)
I adapted it from the Betty Crocker Cook Book

Ingredients: 
1 cup spelt flour
1.25 cups unbleached and unenriched all purpose flour (I buy mine organic)
One stick of salted butter (or half a cup)
1 TBSP sugar
.75 tsp baking soda (make sure it's very active)
2 tsp of apple cider vinegar (any vinegar will do)
1 cup of milk (I used whole)

Preheat oven to 450 F and butter a shiny cookie sheet.
Mix all dry ingredients together, then cut in butter until small pieces are achieved. Then slowly add milk and vinegar. When all ingredients are just combined enough, drop the dough onto buttered pan. 
Bake for 10-12 minutes. 11 minutes worked for me. 
Good and tasty! 



Nutrition for one biscuit:
166 calories
Total fat 8.6 grams
Carbs 18.5 grams
Fiber 1.8 grams
Sugars 2.1 grams
Protein 3.3 grams. 



No comments:

Post a Comment